Wednesday, June 17, 2009

A Case of misdirected concern…!

                     It was the day the Sri Lankan army blew the top of Prabhakaran’s head off.

Mum was not so happy. I too, felt bad for the fallen leader the same way I felt sorry when I saw the videos of Saddam Hussain’s last moments. I thought it was the same with Mum.

“So, what about the Tamils in Sri Lanka now? Would their lives be any better now under the Sinhala Government?” She asked.

“Why should we care? Don’t we have enough on our platter?” I replied, rolling my eyes. I knew where it was leading.

Arre, how can you say that? Don’t you know how Tamils are discriminated against by the Sinhala Government?” She asked incredulously.

“They are not Indians, why should we care?” I replied, irritated.

“If we don’t, who will?” She asked, it was a line straight out of Dan Brown’s Angels and Demons. “That Rajapakse (Sri Lankan President) is worse than Hitler!”

I think it was  poor analogy, but then Mum, being my Mum, has her own set of theatrical ways of showing her concern. It was her way of saying that she hated Rajapakse as much as she hated Hitler.

“Why should we care? Just because they speak our language doesn’t mean we should feel their pain too!” I persisted.

“Why do you think I say this because they are Tamils? Isn’t there something known as Humanity?” Mum demanded indignantly.

“Oh! Humanity, was it? Where was your Humanity when our Tiger Cub was bellowing his lungs out against fellow Indians? Don’t they deserve more of our concern?”

“Do you feel the same for the Humanitarian crisis in Chechnya and Somalia? Or Sierra Leone for that matter?” I asked, mockingly.

“Alas, Son! I am not as well read as you. I don’t even know what ails these countries.” She replied sarcastically. “Though, I have never been so condescending when you spoke at length about the horror of the Taliban or when you felt sad for Pakistan. They’re not Indians as well.”

“That, was for Humanity.I felt sad for our neighbours and fellow humans.” I replied airily.

“Well, So did I.” It was her turn to roll her eyes..!

12 Grumblings:

Andrews Chinnamallela said...

I coudn't think of much...I went numb over this post....well both are right on their own stands...These lines from the Guns n Roses' Civil War filled my vaccum...

Look at your young men fighting
Look at your women crying
Look at your young men dying
The way they've always done before


Look at the hate we're breeding
Look at the fear we're feeding
Look at the lives we're leading
The way we've always done before


My hands are tied
The billions shift from side to side
And the wars go on with brainwashed pride
For the love of God and our human rights
And all these things are swept aside
By bloody hands time can't deny
And are washed away by your genocide
And history hides the lies of our civil wars

Mr. M said...

So dude wht was u r reply?~*[:)]

Meera's World said...

I thought about Rajiv Gandhi's body scattered when i read your post.I am not one for voilence. I cannot agree to with what Prabhakaran and team did to get their things done.Ppl tend to forget the past and think only about the present.Present is the dead body of Prabhakaran,i guess:).

Ayyappan said...

@Andrew
Yeah mann..! I agree.


@DP
I 'chose' not to reply..! :D :P

Ayyappan said...

@Meera
For all that Rajiv Gandhi did, the LTTE retaliated. I don't support the LTTE and I seriously don't care too much for the Tamils..! My people are my first priority..! :)

Siddhesh said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Siddhesh said...

wow that was an amazing piece of conversation......the irony of situation is fantasticly displayed....good work bro

Sikander Fayyaz Khan said...

We Muslims generally tend to be like this... you know one muslims's pain (anywhere in the world) becomes our pain, even if the country that he lives in has been against us openly.

I now cant do this anymore.

Ayyappan said...

@Siddhesh
'Fantastically' you mean..! :D :P
Thanks for the compliment..!


@Siku
Yeah, I know you can relate to this incident very well as all the Muslims feel outraged at the atrocities committed by the Israelis against the Palestinians .. reason.. they're Muslims too..! It nauseates me..! For me, My countrymen are the first priority .. then maybe Tamils or Hindus..

Meera's World said...

that means iam out;)just kidding:)i would be in the indian list though;0)

Mary Jasmine said...

Amazing piece of work...
so do u agree to your mom now?

Ayyappan said...

@Jasmine
Naah..! If I start agreeing with my mom, Life will lose it's flavour..! :D :D